Facts and figures
If you're a fan of Set List Maker, some of this trivia might interest you:
- The initial goal of the app, as its title indicates, was to speed up the process of making nightly set lists for my bands. Here's one of the last set lists I made in Microsoft Word. The first version of Set List Maker was released the same month.
- The first surprise after the release of Set List Maker was the number of requests for larger buttons and text for use on stage. I had imagined it only as a tool for printing out paper set lists! I added the Perform window, then MIDI, then auto-scrolling, then screen sharing, all for use on stage.
- The basic app was free until August 2012. When I added a $2.99 base price (and made some of the upgrades free), the number of daily downloads fell by two thirds, but the revenue increased. Now the base price accounts for about three-fourths of the revenue.
- Whenever I release an update, about 35,000 people download it in the first week, so that's how many "active" users I think I have.
- Set List Maker has been downloaded in over 100 countries. The top five countries are the United States, Germany, United Kingdom, Canada and Australia.
- Notice that Germany beats out three other English-speaking countries, even though Set List Maker was only available in English until December 2012. Germany also has the highest retention rate among users, as measured by the number of updates downloaded per user.
- The most popular in-app purchase is Database Sync. The least popular is Attaching Videos.
- As of August 2016, I've spent 4000 hours developing the app and 1800 hours supporting it. I spend about two hours a day on tech support. Since the start of 2016, I have had a part-time employee doing an additional hour of tech support each day.
- When I receive help requests, about 90% of the emails don't provide enough information and require one or more follow-ups before I can help. About 5% tell me everything I need to know, and about 5% are completely incomprehensible!
- Fewer than 1% of Set List Maker users write reviews. Good reviews keep me motivated, so if you haven't yet, please go to the App Store and review Set List Maker now!