Changing your song layouts
Starting with version 4.0, Set List Maker allows you to select from several predefined song layouts in the show view, or customize the layouts to display exactly the info you need during your performances. You can watch a tutorial video, or read on for more details:
Using the predefined layouts
- When you select a show from the Shows list, you will see the layouts that match your device's screen size and orientation. You can select a layout to view the show, or rotate your device to see the layouts that match the other orientation.
- To use a different layout, tap the back button in the top left corner of the screen, then select another layout from the list. You can also cycle through your layouts using a remote control action.
Customizing the layouts
- From the Layouts list, you can see all the layouts installed on your device, with the layouts that match the current screen size and orientation appearing above a divider line:
- To customize a layout, select a layout from this list, then tap Edit Layout. You will see the layout as if you are viewing a show, but you can now tap any item in the layout to select it, then drag to move it, drag the lower right corner to resize it, or tap the X button to remove it:
- Some layout items have an options button in the top right corner. The options button on a song list allows you to control several aspects of the list display, like text size, song buttons and song fields. The options button on a text field allows you to set a color for the field or show a label with the field's name.
- When resizing layout items, you can generally resize them to any proportion, but to return to the default proportion, you can double-tap the bottom right corner.
- To move a number of layout items as a group, you can drag a selection area starting from an empty area of the layout and encompassing the desired items. You can then drag any item to move them together.
- To add items to your layout, you can tap an empty area of the layout, then select a new item from the list that appears.
- If you add a song list to your layout, it will always appear below the other items while editing, but it will always appear above the other items while viewing. This allows you to create a layout where you can hide or show the song list using one of the Song List buttons in your layout, or using a song selection action, or using a remote control action.
- You can also customize the bottom toolbar by tapping an info field, then selecting a new field name from the list that appears. If you place any +1 or +2 items (which display info for the next song or the song after that) on the right side of the toolbar, Set List Maker will move those fields to the right side of the screen.
- You can turn on song selection and completion actions for a layout by selecting it from the Layouts list and then tapping Edit Details.
- You can create a new layout from scratch by tapping the + button at the top of the Layouts list, or create a new layout based on an existing layout by selecting a layout, tapping Edit Details and tapping the Copy button.
- On the Edit Details page, you can rename a layout by entering a new name, or delete it by tapping the Delete button.
Special layout items
Most of the items you can add to a layout are self-explanatory, but a few have special capabilities:
- The Song List will display the songs in the set list as a scrollable list. It will always appear above the other items, so you can place the song list on top of other items and then show it temporarily when you want to select a new song. The options button on the song list leads to several options for controlling the display of the song list, such as text size, song buttons and song fields.
- The Song List - Split View and Song List - Full Screen buttons allow you to show a song list that was added to your layout but hidden. These buttons only work if the layout contains a song list. The Song List - Split View button will show the song list at the size you chose when adding it to your layout, while the Song List - Full Screen button will show the song list at the full screen size regardless of its size in the layout. You can hide a song list by tapping one of the song list buttons again, or selecting a song with the Hide Song List song selection action turned on, or using the Hide Song List remote control action.
- The Document Viewer will display a song's attached documents, chords and lyrics or video. It will always appear below the other items, so you can place items on top of the document viewer if you wish. In this case, those items will be displayed with a semi-opaque background for better contrast against the document content.
- The Notes field places resizable and scrollable text onto your layout. You can pinch in or out to resize the next text, and tap the center of the notes to show a toolbar with buttons to save or reset the text size.
- The Document Button, Recording Button and MIDI Button will access the default document, recording or MIDI preset for a song when you tap it, but you can also tap and hold it to show a menu providing access to all the attached documents, recordings or MIDI presets.
- The Multiple Document Buttons, Multiple Recording Buttons and Multiple MIDI Buttons will show a separate button for each document, recording or MIDI preset attached to a song. You can resize these items to lay out the buttons horizontally or vertically.
- The Page Buttons will display a button for each page of the current document or lyrics. You can resize this item to lay out the buttons horizontally or vertically.
- The Recording Controls include a top row with play/pause buttons, next/previous buttons, a progress slider and a timer, and a bottom row with loop buttons and a speed control slider. If you only need the top row, you can resize this item to hide the bottom row.
- The Box and Line items allow you to add simple design elements to organize your layout. Boxes always appear as a background behind other items, and lines can be either horizontal or vertical depending on how you size them.
Since layouts are typically personalized for each user, they are not synced across devices. However, you can share them manually via email.
- When viewing a layout you want to share, tap the Layout button and select the Email option. A new email message will appear, with the layout attached as a text file. You can address and send this message.
- To import a shared layout on iOS, tap the Layout button and select the Import option, then select the layout file from a compatible app. Or select the layout in a different app and use the Open In feature to copy it into Set List Maker. (On iOS 7 and older, Open In is the only option.)
- To import a shared layout on Android, tap the Layout button and select the Import option, then select the layout file from a folder on your device.
- Set List Maker will add the selected layout to your Layouts list.
- Set List Maker will not import layouts that were saved on a device with a different screen size.